While some are using artificial intelligence (AI) for shady activities, the good guys must master its power for creating social change. How can AI help you change the world?
Overview of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Artificial intelligence is the ability of digital machines to do things that are usually associated with human intelligence, such as:
- Decision making
- Speech recognition
- Answering questions
We already use some form of AI in 77% of our devices:
- Chatbots – ChatGPT, Bard
- Smart assistants – Siri, Alexa, Copilot, Google Assistant
- Search / research – Bing Chat, Google, Genei
- Image generation – Dall-e, Midjourney
- Content creation – Jasper, WriteSonic, Quillbot
- Transcription – Otter.ai, Descript, Sonix
- Navigation – Waze, Apple Maps, MapQuest, Google Maps
There are other AI apps used for:
- Slide decks and presentations
- Video creation
- Meeting assistance
- Security / fraud detection
- Content moderation
- Customer engagement
- OCR Software
- Grammar and spell checking
- Email inbox management
- 3D modelling
AI apps are multiplying, and every day people are finding more ways to use them.
How AI Works
Imagine a very large library of books. How can a librarian know where to find which information? By having a system that can use indexes, catalogues, or search engines. Similarly, AI does not learn everything about the world but uses a system for finding the information it needs – using algorithms, data sets, and machine learning.
The Benefits of AI for Nonprofits: Efficiency, Innovation, & Impact
Some of the immediate benefits organisations can gain from using AI are:
- Time savings from automated tasks
- Reduced costs arising from improved efficiency
- Improved decision making, using insights from relevant data
- Spotting new opportunities by studying market trends
- Better stakeholder communications
Here are some statistics:
- Microsoft estimated that the unit cost of manual tasks can decrease by up to 92% by using generative AI.
- Forbes cited that 64% of businesses expect AI to increase productivity.
- A Tech Jury article said AI will automate communication by 70%.
So, how can not-for-profit (NFP) organisations use AI to their advantage as well?
AI for Fundraising
Fundraising is one major area where nonprofits can optimise the use of AI. Imagine doing these faster and more accurately:
- Identifying potential donors using data such as donor behaviour and preferences
- Writing grant proposals tailored to potential supporters
- Discovering the most effective channels for reaching your possible donors
- Crafting the best messaging that will resonate the most with target partners
- Using automation to streamline the donation process
In short, your organisation can successfully grow your resources with help from AI – then create a stronger impact on your beneficiaries.
AI for Program Delivery & Operations
AI-based solutions can assist in your day-to-day operations and in carrying out projects. You can utilise them to:
- Enhance or generate ideas for a viable project
- Identify new opportunities to realise your vision
- Manage your projects better, collaboratively
- Forecast future demand for your services and programs
- Track and analyse program outcomes for improvement
- Make data-driven decisions for your organisation
- Create online content to help with marketing
- Prepare reports, documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Transcribe meetings and summarise meeting notes
There is practically an infinite number of ways AI can improve your operations and services – you just need to learn how to use them.
AI for Donor Relations & Stakeholder Communications
You can keep donors updated and your stakeholders engaged with the use of AI.
- Set up a customer relationship management (CRM) platform to streamline donor messages and interactions
- Use an AI-driven mailing list and email automation to regularly send news and updates about their impact on your cause
- Instantly send thank-you notes to donors upon receiving their contributions
- Utilise chatbots so your stakeholders can get information from you 24/7
AI can Transform Your Non-profit
Your organisation can impact more lives and build stronger communities with help from AI-powered tools. Helping make the world a better place has never been easier. You need only to find which technologies are suited to your needs.
ONGC can provide additional information that could help: